Multipathing errors

Paul Crittenden paul.crittenden at simpson.edu
Sun Feb 20 16:40:54 UTC 2011

We are trying to set up multipathing RHEL 5.5 and are getting some errors. When I comment the 3 blacklist lines in the /etc/multipath.conf file and then run modprobe dm-multipath and turn on the multipathd daemon I am not seeing the mpath0 device being created in the /dev/mapper folder. Also, in the /dev/ directory I see sda, sda1, sdb, sdb1, sdc, sdc1, sdd, sdd1 devices. I have another server that I have set up multipathing on and there are only sda, sdb, sdc and sdd devices and the mpath0 device is created and multipathing is working fine on it.

When I reboot the server with the multipath daemon enabled and the device blacklist commands commented out, when it tries to then mount /dev/sda1 I get the error, /dev/sda1 already mounted or the mount point is busy. I then uncomment out the blacklist lines and everything is back to normal except I am still seeing the sda, sda1 etc. devices being created.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul Crittenden
Computer Systems Manager
Simpson College
Indianola, Iowa
Phone: 515-961-1680 * optional: 515-961-1681
www.simpson.edu