on wifi and/or NIC drivers

Jonathan Billings jsbillin at umich.edu
Mon Feb 28 02:26:44 UTC 2011

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 03:58:38PM -0800, Victor Radu wrote:
> no luck.
> I am still very interested if there is a way to identify at least one of the
> rpm packages that contain the code  for a given driver.
>  I could just start there, get the dependencies and extract the headers.
> I appreciate any suggestion or idea to start with.

Most likely, any driver you'd be using would be part of the Linux
kernel, in the 'kernel' package.  Fedora 14 contains a kernel with a
more recent release of the rtl8180 driver, which might support newer
versions of the wireless card than RHEL5.

I'd suggest trying to load the rtl8180 kernel module (which is the
kernel module for RTL8185 PCI wireless devices) and see if that
works.  You might benefit from running the lastest RHEL 5.6 kernel
updates.

--
Jonathan Billings <jsbillin at umich.edu>
College of Engineering - CAEN - Unix and Linux Support