RHEL4 Sun Java Messaging Server deadlock (was: redhat-list Digest, Vol 83, Issue 3)

(Imed Chihi) عماد الشيحي imed.chihi at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 21:37:29 UTC 2011

> Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 12:46:47 -0500
> From: John Dalbec <jpdalbec at ysu.edu>
> To: redhat-list at redhat.com
> Subject: Re: redhat-list Digest, Vol 83, Issue 2
>
> I got Alt+SysRq+t output, but it looks corrupted in /var/log/messages.
> I suspect that syslogd couldn't keep up with klogd and the ring buffer
> wrapped.  The system is not starved for CPU, but then I have 24 cores.
> If 32-bit + > 16GB is trouble then why does the kernel-hugemem package
> even exist?  Or is that actually a 64-bit kernel?

The kernel-hugemem is a 32-bit-only kernel.  When RHEL 4 was released
(around February 2005), 64-bit systems we not that ubiquitous.  It
still made sense to use a 32-bit OS with the typical 8 GB servers.

The context has changed now, and Red Hat no longer support more than
16 GB on 32-bit platforms as of RHEL 5.

The output from Alt+SysRq+m should always fit in a kernel log buffer.
Try collecting that one to be certain that the issue is related to VM
management.  However, I'd seriously suggest moving to RHEL 4 for
x86_64 as you should still be able to run your 32-bit application,
minus a whole class of VM hassles.

 -Imed

--
Imed Chihi - عماد الشيحي