RHEL6 pam_tally2 lockouts

Johan Booysen johan at matrixsolutions.co.uk
Tue Jan 11 13:11:44 UTC 2011

Paul - thanks very much for your reply.

My understanding was that it should go into the /etc/pam.d/system-auth
file, but I've tried it in the /etc/pam.d/sshd file and it seems to work
in terms of logging failed logon attempts in /var/log/tallylog, e.g.

Login           Failures Latest failure
test                6    01/11/11 12:04:23

However, the account does not get locked out after the specified 3
number of logon attempts mentioned on the following line:
auth       required     pam_tally2.so deny=3 onerr=fail

The pam_tally2 man page mentions:

deny=n	Deny access if tally for this user exceeds n.

Anyone have any idea why the account doesn't get locked?

Regards,

Johan