rhel 6: wanting vnc access without tunnelling

Alex Troubadour fasnet99 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 20 05:30:00 UTC 2011

Hi,
rhel 6.x, at least the 64-bit version, comes with tigervnc server which seems to
want you to create an ssh tunnel for you to use vncviewer from a remote box to
the rhel 6.x server ... at least it works if you do this.  However, I want a
user to simply be able to connect to the rhel 6.x server, run "vncserver", note
the desktop number given, open vncviewer on their windows box, set the vnc
server as <rhel_6_server>:<desktop_number>, and click connect ... i.e. without
having to do an ssh tunnel.  On rhel 5 and before this worked fine ( at least
through "vnc-server-4.1.2-14.el5_5.4" ).  Now with rhel 6, red hat uses tigervnc
( 64 bit version ) .

I know it is more secure as is but it is much more practical for us to allow
usecure vnc access.  Note users still need to know which desktop number to use
and their vnc password.

I would appreciate any help anyone can provide.
Thanks