Refarding LDAP

Jonathan Billings jsbillin at umich.edu
Fri Jul 22 03:28:58 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 07:39:50PM -0400, amiteshsahay at aol.com wrote:
> I am trying for the first time to configure LDAP server/client.
>

> I came across
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LDAP-HOWTO/building.html
>

> That has provided some step by step procedure to confgure
> it. However, I have downloaded and extracted all of the packages but
> database. For your information, I have downloaded and extracted it
> too from the Oracle website, but it needs to be configured further
> before I configure LDAP. There is some "sleepycat" that I had
> downloaded from the Oracle site. but due to lack to database
> knowledge I am not able to further configure it.
>

> Could anyone help me with the readymade steps to configure the LDAP ?

There's really no need to build it from scratch.

Perhaps you would benefit from using the OpenLDAP packages built for
RHEL?  Take a look at the openldap and openldap-servers packages.

For that matter, you could also look into 389 Directory Server
(http://directory.fedoraproject.org/), which is also available to
RHEL6.
--
Jonathan Billings <jsbillin at umich.edu>
College of Engineering - CAEN - Unix and Linux Support