No kdump initial ramdisk found.

unix syzadmin unixsyzadmin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 21:24:47 UTC 2011

Hi

I am having issues configuring kdump on my linux server.

# service kdump start
No kdump initial ramdisk found.                            [WARNING]
Rebuilding /boot/initrd-2.6.18-128.el5kdump.img
/etc/kdump.conf: Could not create user1 at server1:/var/crash, you probably
need to run "service kdump propagate"
Failed to run mkdumprd

how did I configure kdump?
====================
# grep crashkernel /boot/grub/grub.conf
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-128.el5 ro root=/dev/sysvg/root.fs nohpet
nopmtimer powernow-k8.tscsync=1 crashkernel=128M at 16M

# grep net /etc/kdump.conf
net user1 at server1

The root user on this server is able to ssh to user1 at server1 without
password; tested this to be working with the following command line:

#ssh -i /root/.ssh/id_rsa.us1 user1 at server1

Any suggestions or pointers is appreciated.
Thanks.