Limiting systems buffers

Yong Huang yong321 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 1 17:06:44 UTC 2011

> Is there a sysctl parameter that will limit the amount of memory
> the kernel uses for systems buffers used for file systems and direct
>  I/O to a block device?

(While waiting for expert advice...) I think you can lower
/proc/sys/vm/pagecache and swappiness. But I heard pagecache may not
work in newer kernels.

The real problem is, applications make memory dirty, unnecessarily. Let's
say I copy a big file, or gzip it. Lots of memory pages will become
dirty and they'll be written to disk. If the application (cp, gzip, or
your Storix) can open files with O_DIRECT option, then the filesystem
page cache won't be used.

Otherwise, we could use a filesystem that allows direct I/O mount option.
I know ext2 or ext3 doesn't support it. (Linus doesn't like the idea.)

Yong Huang