RHEL5.3 x64 first boot problem on FTS RX300 S6 - grub not loading

Grzegorz Witkowski geslinux at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 22:39:25 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-06-21 at 15:14 +0200, Ostrowski, Tomasz (NSN - TH/Bangkok)
wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I just wonder if it is known case that right after installation of RHEL
> 5.3 x64 on FTS RX300 S6 the grub is even not loading.
> What I've done is standard RAID (mirroring) configuration in the LSI
> menu (CTRL + C during post)
> hd1 + hd3 = mirror1
> hd2 + hd4 = mirror2
>
> I've booter from DVD installed like via gui (no lvm) everything on sda:
> /boot    ext3    200MB   (sda1)
> /    ext3    40960MB    (sda2)
> Swap    ext3    20480MB
> /opt    ext3 <Free space>
> /var    ext3    10240MB
> /usr    ext3    10240MB
> /home    ext3    20480MB
> /tmp    ext3    20480MB
>
> Then after reboot when the server wants to boot the screen becomes
> black, and there is no grub.
>
> I've booted to rescue mode with rhel DVD, performed grub installation
> "setup (hd0) (hd0,0)" the result was successful but still after reboot
> the screen is black :(.
>
> Do you have any hints about this?
>
> Do you think that using dd to load stage1 directly into /dev/sda could
> be good idea?
>
> Regards
> Tomek
>

> --
> Tomasz Ostrowski
> Nokia Siemens Networks Ltd, Thailand
> OPS Integrated OEM and Digital Supply/APAC
> Mobile NEW: +66 824 85 87 70
> Time Zone: GMT+7

Hi Tomek,

Have you check on your controller if there is any option to select which
virtual disk should be a boot device?
Some controllers offer that option.
>From your post it looks you setup 2xRAID1 VDs. If non of them or the
wrong one has the boot flag set the system won't boot from this VD.
I do not know this platform, but have you got a BIOS boot menu
available? If yes, have you tried to select it? Are you sure you are
booting from the correct device?

Kindest regards,
Ges