ethtool - Link detected: no

Allen Chen achen at harbourfrontcentre.com
Tue Mar 1 16:17:34 UTC 2011

nani wrote:
> Check with the Network team, from switch side what will be the settings
> like 100 base full duplex
> and through ethtool command set those values
>
> and see you will get the link detected = yes
>

> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Parvez Shaikh <parvez.h.shaikh at gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> When I run ethtool against ethernet card, I get following output -
>>
>> [root at datablade1 ~]# ethtool eth3
>> Settings for eth3:
>>        Supported ports: [ FIBRE ]
>>        Supported link modes:   1000baseT/Full
>>        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
>>        Advertised link modes:  1000baseT/Full
>>        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
>>        Speed: Unknown!
>>        Duplex: Unknown! (255)
>>        Port: FIBRE
>>        PHYAD: 2
>>        Transceiver: internal
>>        Auto-negotiation: on
>>        Supports Wake-on: g
>>        Wake-on: g
>> *        Link detected: no*
>>
>> Note "Link detected: no"; what does it mean?
>>
>> When I do ethtool -t eth3, I get following output -
>>
>> [root at datablade1 ~]# ethtool -t eth3
>> *The test result is FAIL*
>> The test extra info:
>> register_test (offline)  0
>> memory_test (offline)    0
>> loopback_test (offline)  0
>> nvram_test (online)      0
>> interrupt_test (online)  0
>> link_test (online)       1
>>
>> Note "*The test result is FAIL", *somehow I believe the above two outputs
>> are interlinked (the test result is FAIL because link detected is 'No').
>>
>> How to fix this to make test result pass and link detected to 'Yes'? For
>> other ethernet card I can see the test result passing and link detected is
>> 'Yes'
>>
>> Thanks
>> Parvez
>> --

You can try to update the latest firmware on those network cards.
I have a HS20 blade, and I use bonding to do the failover.
for somehow, "Link detected" is not stable(it's stable if I remove bonding).
After I updated it to the latest firmware, "Link detected" is stable.
and bonding is working fine.

Allen