LPIC or RHCA

Matty Sarro msarro at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 12:54:53 UTC 2011

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 3:14 AM, Corey Kovacs <corey.kovacs at gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree with this except for the bit questioning your base knowledge
> solely on the
> fact that you are a Comp Sci major. So am I and I am one exam away from my RHCA.

I didn't really mean to question the OP's base knowledge because of
his study path, sorry if it came across like that :)
However a lot of programmers simply don't *need* to know the system
administration side of things. Like I said, a race car driver doesn't
need to know how a car works to be able to use it with expert skill.
It does help though!

I personally think that LPIC might be better, especially since a
computer science major, who I would assume is going to focus more on
programming, could be thrown into any *nix environment. Red Hat does
include some proprietary sysadmin stuff that isn't in other distros,
and I'd hate to see the OP become married to some ways of doing things
and then get thrown into a debian/gentoo/whatever environment. I think
a fundamental knowledge would be more important. Purely from a
financial aspect, if the OP was going to just use the CS degree as
resume fodder and actually focus on system administration then I'd
definitely stick with the Red Hat certs.
-Matty