Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.5 patching

Matty Sarro msarro at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 13:08:31 UTC 2011

Sadly with red hat you have the option of red hat, run satellites, or bust.
You could use the cent OS repository bit you'd lose your support for the
system.

Tbh in enterprise installs red hat updates have been a nightmare. There
aren't roll ups, and there's no way to tell YUM to only update to a certain
point in time. You will need to be online at least once to get the gpg key
from the redhat repo or else you can't even manually download and install
the rpms.

Solaris handles updates better, I agree. Popping in a 10/9 dvd is way easier
than running YUM on a test server, tee-ing the output to a log, manually
finding each of the packages on red hats website, and then trying to get a
prod server online just to get their stupid gpg key so I can run YUM to
install the downloads. Running rpm works but you get tons of dependency
errors, and forcing the install seems to jack up the system.