Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.5 patching

Paul M. Whitney paul.whitney at me.com
Tue Mar 8 14:15:59 UTC 2011

How is that any different than Red Hat releasing a new ISO?  If you are running RHEL 5.5 and want to "cumulatively" update your system you could update it against RHEL 5.6.  The benefit of installing updates as they come out is that you significantly mitigate vulnerabilities against your system regularly as opposed to that once a quarter or semi-annual update.

The only con I see with CentOS is that the updates are always behind Red Hat by a few weeks to even months.  Even longer when an ISO is released. And mixing and matching with Redhat (despite some people insisting on it) to me is a bad idea because you could then really get into an RPM hell trying to keep systems synchronized.

Paul M. Whitney
paul.whitney at me.com

"Can't is the cancer of happen." - Charlie Sheen