ssh allowing root login with no password (Solved)

Steven Buehler steve at ibushost.com
Tue May 10 15:06:17 UTC 2011

ONLY
> this public key into the authorized_keys2 file in a test account that I
just
> created and set the permissions on the .ssh directory and
> authorized_keys2 file.
> chmod 700 .ssh
> chmod 600 .ssh/authorized_keys2
>
> Then I tried to ssh to this account at server from one of my private servers
> and it wouldn't let me in.  That is good since I wasn't using a key from
there.  I
> then used my keys to get in from my laptop running windows7 and
> SecureCRT.  I got in as expected.  Now, I went back to my private server
and
> tried to ssh to account at server again and it let me in, but I was still not
using a
> key so it should not let me in.  Allows me in with no password.
> What is going on here?  Anybody seen this before?

Strangest thing I ever saw.  The problem is solved.  The private key is the
key that I installed into my SecureCRT.  If I log into the server with that
key from SecureCRT, then login to my private server and try to ssh to the
server where the public key is installed from my private server that is in a
different tab in SecureCRT, it uses the private key on my local Windows7
laptop.  I have never seen this before.

Thank You for ALL of your help.