Re: Setting up second nic for local lan backup

You can only have one default gateway.

There are two ways around this, the simple way, and the complex way.
The simple way is to add a static route by following the method shown
here:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/configuring-static-routes-in-debian-or-red-hat-linux-systems.html

The second, more involved way is shown here:
http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links.html

Finally, look here for more information if they can't help you:
http://lartc.org/