disk partitions on that aren't recognized by mkfs + parted

Corey Kovacs corey.kovacs at gmail.com
Thu May 5 10:11:05 UTC 2011

At some point, I don't recall when, the coders for partprobe disabled
updating the in kernel partition table because it didn't always work
quite right and therefore just made it return without actually doing
anything to the partition table. No message was given however and many
were a bit stumped because it seemed "broken". It was however, by
design. I think it has been changed due to popular demand. The problem
wasn't in partitioning a new disk rather it was in changing a disk
that already had a partition table on it. They seemed to have taken
the easy route and simply disabled the command for any disk. It was
the default behavior for RHEL6 but I am not sure when or IF it
actually hit RHEL5. Sounds like it might have. In RHEL6 a reboot is
simply a requirement, full stop.

gparted is only a front end to parted....

-C