Help Needed: My RHEL5 box suddenly stopped accepting e-mails

Mun mjelists at gmail.com
Sun May 8 06:21:53 UTC 2011

Hi   Bohdan,

On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 10:21 PM, Bohdan Sydor <bohdan at harazd.net> wrote:

> On 05/08/2011 06:30 AM, Mun wrote:
>
> > Does everything above look okay?
>
> Yes, they all seem to be alright.
>
> Next, let's try to telnet to the smtp port:
>
> - from the localhost. Simply telnet localhost 25 and try to submit a
> sample msg.

You are now beyond my understanding of sendmail.  After telnetting,
what is the command I should enter?

> - from any other machine that is in the same subnet as the mail server
>

> >From any other remote hosts we already know that it fails. But do you
> refer to the MTA by address or by name? Check the DNS entries for the MTA:
>
> host -t mx yourDomainName

This returned a name (not an address).  Let say "xyz1.domain"

> host -t a theResultNameFromPreviousCmd
> Is it the same IP as assigned to the server?

Yes, the IP does match that of "xyz1.domain"

But this piqued my interest, and when I look in sendmail.cf I see the
following lines:
# "Smart" relay host (may be null)
DSabc1.domain

Should this entry be "xyz1.domain" (to match the the 'host -t mx' command's
output)?
Or is it okay that the line in sendmail.cf refers to a different server?

Best regards,

--
Mun