Help Needed: My RHEL5 box suddenly stopped accepting e-mails

Barry Brimer lists at brimer.org
Sun May 8 06:37:12 UTC 2011

I've not been following this too closely, but I'll make a few suggestions
in no particular order.

1.  Add an iptables logging rule that logs and connections to port 25 not
from localhost.  Something like:
iptables -I INPUT -i ! lo -p tcp -m tcp --dport 25 -j LOG

Verify connections (or lack thereof) in /var/log/messages

2.  Is SELinux enabled?  Find out with "getenforce" .. if it is on, turn
it off temporarily with "setenforce 0" (as root)

3.  Is there anything relevant in /var/log/messages /var/log/maillog
/var/log/audit/audit.log ??

4.  Make sure you're not out of inodes with "df -i"

5.  Try connecting to the mail server manually from another machine on the
same subnet.

6.  Verify other Internet communications work .. perhaps you've got a bad
route of some kind.

7.  Run some tests with swaks <http://jetmore.org/john/code/swaks/>

8.  Use system-switch-mail to verify that your system is using sendmail.

9.  Add a second local IP address to your machine .. test that as well,
see if there are any different results.

Good luck.

Barry