Re: ssh allowing root login with no password

On 05/09/11 15:18, Steven Buehler wrote:
I am trying to setup our servers to only allow logins with a public/private
key pair.  2 of our machines have to have root login access with ssh and the
rest, we will login as another account and su to root.  I just started with
this company and on their boxes which range from version 5.1 to 5.5, if I
open up the firewall to allow ssh access from anywhere, I can ssh to root
without a password.  The only uncommented lines in the /etc/ssh/sshd_config
are the following:

  [snip]

I'm hoping that someone can lead me in the right direction as I can't figure
this one out.  If this was only one machine, I would assume that it might
have been hacked, but this is all of their servers and VM's that will allow
me to ssh to them without a login/password and get into root.  Luckily, they
have always had their (supposedly anyway) iptables set to only allow access
from specific IP's.

Change / uncomment PermitRootLogin with a value of without-password

--
*Les Ault* VCP, RHCE
Linux Systems Administrator, Office of Information Technology