ssh allowing root login with no password

Steven Buehler steve at ibushost.com
Tue May 10 14:12:19 UTC 2011

Ok, this is just plane stuped.  I created a new private/public key and put
ONLY this public key into the authorized_keys2 file in a test account that I
just created and set the permissions on the .ssh directory and
authorized_keys2 file.
chmod 700 .ssh
chmod 600 .ssh/authorized_keys2

Then I tried to ssh to this account at server from one of my private servers
and it wouldn't let me in.  That is good since I wasn't using a key from
there.  I then used my keys to get in from my laptop running windows7 and
SecureCRT.  I got in as expected.  Now, I went back to my private server and
tried to ssh to account at server again and it let me in, but I was still not
using a key so it should not let me in.  Allows me in with no password.
What is going on here?  Anybody seen this before?