Re: Backup solutions for Linux servers

On Thu, 12 May 2011, 19:26:42 CEST, David Bear <David Bear asu edu<mailto:David Bear asu edu>> wrote:

> I don't think this hijacks the thread -- its part of the over all
> question,
> because a good backup solution is useless without a good restoration.
>
> This is my concern as well - we do a lot of rsycn'ing in addition to
> using
> Tivoli (TSM). TSM is centrally run and provides more of a disaster
> recovery
> option for us rather than a quick 'restore point' solution. I'm sure TSM
> could do that as well, but so far, we haven't worked through details of
> making that work with the guys that run TSM.
>
> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 9:33 AM, cliff here <c4ifford gmail com<mailto:c4ifford gmail com>> wrote:
>
> > Not to hijack the thread from the OP, but I would be curious to see
> what
> > people are doing for a bare metal backups, since most of the actual
> data I
> > have are usually rsynced.
> >
> > On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 10:32 AM, Vincent Van der Kussen <
> > Vincent VanderKussen btr-services be<mailto:Vincent VanderKussen btr-services be>> wrote:
> >
> > > Do you need bare metal recovery or just the ability to restore
> files...
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >

> > > Vincent Van der Kussen
> > > System Consultant
> > > mobile: +32473170846
> > > direct: +32 3 369 01 93
> > > Vincent VanderKussen btr-services be<mailto:Vincent VanderKussen btr-services be>
> > >
> > > BTR Services
> > > Groene Hofstraat 31
> > > 2850 Boom
> > > Belgium
> > > www.btr-services.be<http://www.btr-services.be>
> > > tel: +32 3 450 89 80
> > > fax: +32 3 450 89 89
> > >

> > > - DISCLAIMER -
> > > This message contains confidential information and is intended only
> for
> > > redhat-list redhat com <mailto:redhat-list redhat com > If you are not redhat-list redhat com<mailto:redhat-list redhat com>, you
> > should
> > > not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify
> > > Vincent VanderKussen btr-services be<mailto:Vincent VanderKussen btr-services be> immediately by e-mail if you
> have
> > > received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your
> system.
> > > E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free
> as
> > > information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive
> late
> > or
> > > incomplete, or contain viruses. Vincent Van der Kussen therefore
> does not
> > > accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this
> > > message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If
> verification
> > is
> > > required please request a hard-copy version.

[http://www.btr-services.be/images/btr%20Services.gif]  We assist Banks on their Transformation Road
Vincent Van der Kussen
System Consultant       Groene Hofstraat 31
2850 Boom
Belgium
mobile: +32473170846
direct: +32 3 369 01 93
Vincent VanderKussen btr-services be    tel: +32 3 450 8980
fax: +32 3 450 8989

- DISCLAIMER -
This message contains confidential information and is intended only for redhat-list redhat com  If you are not redhat-list redhat com, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify Vincent VanderKussen btr-services be immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. Vincent Van der Kussen therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version.