MUA / SMTP client / script to send email via a mail relay server

Daniel Carrillo daniel.carrillo at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 16:24:39 UTC 2011

2011/11/28 sunhux G <sunhux at gmail.com>:
> I have a Linux RHES 4.5 box that's on the same subnet as my Postfix
> box.  For security reasons, I'm not allowed to ftp/scp/sftp files between
> this box & the Postfix server.

> It will take weeks for Change Managemt to approve installing Mime-Lite
> module, so I'll need help on the following :
>
> a) is there an MUA (mailx, mutt, sendmail) that would enable me to
>    perform this same function of pointing to the Postfix server & attach
>    a file to be mailed out?  Kindly provide the full syntax/example

Surely yes.

> b) is there another script (that uses say "telnet postfix_IP 25" & EHLO)
>    to do this function.  Let me know the full url

I'm pretty sure that you could do the same with perl/python/php, but
something like this should work:

{
    echo 'helo me'
    echo 'MAIL FROM:<you at yourdomain.com>'
    echo 'RCPT TO: <someone at theirdomain.com>'
    echo 'DATA'
    echo -e 'To:someone at theirdomain.com\nMIME-Version: 1.0
(mime-construct 1.9)\nContent-Type:
application/octet-stream\nContent-Transfer-Encoding: base64\n\n'
    cat myattachment.bin | openssl base64
    echo '.'
} | nc mail.20minutos.es 25

I tested it and it works, the attachment has no name, but you could
improve the script to be polite.

BTW, what about CPAN ?