questions about xset

Doll, Margaret Ann margaret_doll at brown.edu
Tue Oct 25 20:23:24 UTC 2011

Installing Mathematica on my mac did not help with the display from the head
node on the cluster.

I copied over the Fonts directory from the head node for Mathematica.  I
installed the fonts in a /usr/local/mathematica/7.0/SystemFiles/Fonts
directory.
I then linked .fonts in my home directory to the new Fonts directory.

That did not help.

.fonts -> /usr/local/Mathematica/7.0/SystemFiles/Fonts
ls .fonts
AFM    BDF    SVG    TTF    Type1

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 1:50 PM, Doll, Margaret Ann <margaret_doll at brown.edu
> wrote:

> As root I edited
>
> /etc/X11/fs/config to add the lines on the head node of the cluster
>
> /share/apps/Mathematica7.0/SystemFiles/Fonts/Type1,
>         /share/apps/Mathematica7.0/SystemFiles/Fonts/BDF,
>         /share/apps/Mathematica7.0/SystemFiles/Fonts/AFM
>
> I restarted xfs on the head node
>
> service xfs restart
>
> I checked my firewall on the head node of the computer clustrer
>
> netstat -nlp | grep 7100
> unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     9788554
> 5359/xfs            /tmp/.font-unix/fs7100
>
> I then logged into the head node from my Mac using "ssh -Y"
>
> As a regular user, my xset path does not contain the Mathematica fonts.
> And Mathematica still gives me the "bad font message"
>
> My local computer is a Mac, 10.6.
>
> I am installing Mathematica on my Mac now to see if that makes a difference
> in the display.
>
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 12:13 PM, Nigel Wade <nmw at ion.le.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 25/10/11 16:24, Richardson, Joshua A. wrote:
>>
>>> Just a quick guess, but have you actually verified the path you are
>>> trying to set exists?  You may need to physically copy the fonts from the CD
>>> to the machine.
>>>
>>> http://shortrecipes.blogspot.**com/2009/06/mathematica-xset-**
>>> bad-font-path-element.html<http://shortrecipes.blogspot.com/2009/06/mathematica-xset-bad-font-path-element.html>
>>>
>>> Joshua A. Richardson

>>> usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:**unscaled,/usr/X11/lib/X11/**
>>> fonts/100dpi/:unscaled,/usr/**X11/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/,/usr/**