sudo examples

frank cui frankcui24 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 00:20:57 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 8:31 PM, Steven Barre <
steven at realestatewebmasters.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I understand how to configure sudo, but I don't get how to get real-world
> use from it. Is it best to write custom scripts for the things that need
> doing and give sudo access to those scripts?
>
> Most of what I do as root is done because of file permissions. For example,
> if I want a user to have access to a conf file but don't want to change the
> file permissions of the conf file, how can I do this with sudo?

I'm not sure about the solution using sudo, but definitely you could setup
an ACL for the file for more granular control over it.

> Do you have any examples of how you use sudo to allow users to do some
> basic tasks?

The sudo list, as you may know, can allow users to do specific categories of
tasks instead of authorizing all the root commands to them. For example, you
can delegate the abilities to restart a network service to a specific user.