questions about xset

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Thu Oct 27 14:09:50 UTC 2011

On 27/10/11 14:43, Doll, Margaret Ann wrote:
> Thanks to everyone, especially Nigel.  I can now run the graphics from my
> mac onto the head node.  Next step is to see if I can get the compute nodes
> to display the image.
>
> Short synopsis of the steps:
>
> On the head node:
>
> 1.  Edit /etc/X11/fs/config to
>      a.  include the paths to the Mathematic fonts under catalogue=
>      b.  Comment out  #no-listen = tcp
> 2.  Restart xfs  "service xfs restart"
> 3.  Edit the iptables to allow tcp connections to port 7100
> 4.  Restart iptables "service iptables restart"
>
> On the local mac where ted is the head node on the server
>
>   xfsinfo -server ted:7100
> xset +fp tcp/ted:7100
> xset fp rehash
> xset q
> ssh -Y ted

Glad you got it sorted.

The only reason I know how to do this is because I went through exactly
the same learning curve when we got Mathematica. Users wanted to run it
on the compute server (ccNUMA, not a cluster), with display on their
PC's. So it was necessary to figure out how to serve the fonts for PC X
servers (Exceed, and later NX).

Good luck with Mathematica on the cluster. That's not an area where I
have any expertise.

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555