Explanation of weird yum behavior

Matty Sarro msarro at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 16:55:19 UTC 2011

I suppose what doesn't make sense to me - these aren't packages that
are installed by default (running RHEL 5.5). I had to manually install
them on this build - I only have core packages installed. So why can I
add them with no fuss, but not remove them without everything being
impacted? The system ran perfectly happy without them, so why are they
suddenly dependencies for everything after they're installed?