Does restarting network services unload NIC module?

Simple question - when you type service network restart, does the
kernel unload the module or not?

I ask because we're tangling with the bonding driver atm. After
modifying the mode from 6 to 1 in modprobe.conf and restarting network
services, I noticed there was no change. It wasn't until afterwards
that I realized I may have needed to rmmod and insmod.

Any thoughts?
-Matty