FC15 annoyances

I just upgraded one of my users from FC 14 to 15. After some fighting, I
removed the fglrx package, and did a
yum -y install akmod-catalyst kmod-catalyst xorg-x11-drv-catalyst
xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-devel xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-libs

Everything's in, and now X does come up... but there's a problem with
either the driver, or the configuration: on the login screen, and
everywhere else, there's a spray of pinkish-red dots, like flowers on the
vines the bird's sitting on. Logged into gnome 3 (everything else is more
of a problem), there's a double loop of them, like two infinity symbols.
Icons and apps write over them, but....

It's a Radeon HD3600 series card. Ideas? Pointers?

        mark