Re: Options to stop processes that can't be killed -9 other than reboot

On 09/14/2011 03:37 PM, Cameron Simpson wrote:
Then it is not a zombie. Zombies are exited processes which still have their
parent, but the parent has not (yet) collected their exit status.

From the 'ps' man page:

"Processes marked <defunct> are dead processes (so-called "zombies") that remain because their parent has not destroyed them properly. These processes will be destroyed by init(8) if the parent process exits."

In my experience, zombie processes have a parent process ID of 1 (init) by the time I discover them.

--
Josh Miller
Open Source Solutions Architect