RHEL6 Network Manager for Work/Home

Paul Whitney paul.whitney at me.com
Tue Aug 14 19:39:49 UTC 2012

Paul M. Whitney
paul.whitney at me.com

On Aug 14, 2012, at 03:12 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

Harry Hoffman wrote (top posting while reading the request to not top post):
> Then Network Manager can't (currently) handle it.
>
> On 08/14/2012 02:17 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Martini, Dave wrote:
>>
>>> The laptop is setup with a static IP address at work which is
>>> configured
>>> onto the laptop itself.
>>
>> Is it a 192.168 address at work? If not, you are going to have to tell
>> it
>> to use DHCP.
>>
>> And please don't top post.

Then
$ service NetworkManager stop
$ vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
BOOTPROTO="dhcp"
# IPADDR=whatsit
:wq
$ service network restart

As root (#).  I only say this because your prompt looks like regular user ($).  Some companies that issue laptops typically do not give up the admin rights.  So he may be SOL unless he decides to reconfigure his router at home to dole out IP addresses similar to the one he has at work...

Paul

mark