Dual boot wiped out the Windows boot up

Grzegorz Witkowski geslinux at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 10:43:40 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 9:19 PM, Doll, Margaret Ann
<margaret_doll at brown.edu>wrote:

> I believe in the old version of RH, the installation disk would recognize
> the the system had Windows already install on the system.
>
> The RH /boot/grub/grub.conf would include the menu with a RH and a Windows
> boot up.
>
> I gather I should not have had the RH boot write on /dev/sda1

Hi,

I use dual boot since I remember, mainly with Fedora, but also with RH and
other Linux distros and I never had any problem with it. You need to
understand fist the partitioning before you start any modifications. Yes,
Linux installer will recognize Windows partitions. Basically, if you would
have Windows installed on one partition (primary) only and left the rest of
disk space free and not partitioned, Linux installer will do the rest for
you.

https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6-Beta/html/Installation_Guide/ch-partitions-x86.html
https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6-Beta/html/Installation_Guide/s1-diskpartsetup-x86.html
https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6-Beta/html/Installation_Guide/s1-diskpartitioning-x86.html