Will Oracle ever be certified for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6?

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed Jan 4 18:00:50 UTC 2012

Adam Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 09:21:59PM -0600, Barry Brimer wrote:
>> >Does anyone know if Oracle will ever be certified for RHEL6?
>

> This isn't any form or fashion official support, but there's at least
> being work done by someone to make it work. No idea what this will mean
> for future official support.
>
> http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/b/techcenter/archive/2012/01/03/dell-engineering-preview-oracle-11gr2-rac-on-rhel6.aspx

Sun will push as hard as possible to move to proprietary - remember, they
bought Sun, too, and I haven't looked, but if they're not pushing
ex-Sun/OBL as hard as they can, I'll chow down on this sticky note on my
desk.

Still, they know that it's not going to happen, that everyone will go that
way (look at M$). Since RH is the biggest dog in the US market, I expect
that sooner or later, they'll support it. Maybe they'll hold off for six
months, to get even for RH obfuscating the build environment for 6.0, to
prevent Oracle from grabbing it.

       mark