FAILED SMART self-check

Paul Tader ptader at linuxscope.com
Wed Jul 25 13:18:56 UTC 2012

On 7/25/12 7:40 AM, Robert Canary wrote:
> Sorry for the confusion.
>
> Two drives sda and sdb are mirrored with RAID 1
> Getting errors on sda.
> I removed the sda, and moved sdb into the sda position
>
> However, I am still getting the same errors on the sda.
>
> Robert Canary
> OCDirect Electrical-Datacomm
> (866) 594-0786 Fax
> (270) 955-0362 Voice

Sorry, if you mean you physically move the sdb drive to the physical
location sda was in?  Or in other words swapped hardware around?

mark is correct.  This drive is failing and needs to be replaced.  In
short you should run the mdadm tool to remove the drive from the
mirrored set (if it's not already), physically replace the drive,
partition and add the new drive into the mirror with the mdadm utility.

As far as the server being slow, it could be that the OS is trying to
read/write data from this failing drive and is slow because it's
encountering I/O errors.  Run the command "dmesg".  I'm betting it
filled with I/O errors.

Hope this helps.

Paul