Does redhat linux log all hardware events/issues/error in /var/log/mcelog?

Grzegorz Witkowski geslinux at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 20:59:24 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 1:36 PM, unix syzadmin <unixsyzadmin at gmail.com>wrote:

> Thanks.
> I have downloaded and installed the OpenManage from Dell.
> The following commands say if the health of system components is OK.
> omreport chassis - health of all main components of the system chassis
> omreport chassis processors - cpu health
> omreport chassis memory - memory health
> omreport chassis pwrsupplies - power supply health
> omreport storage controller - raid controller health
>
> However this leaves out the integrated NIC ports and the HBA adapters.
> What linux / dell open manage commands can be used to confirm if those are
> healthy as well?
>
> Thanks,
>

> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 9:00 PM, Paul Tader <ptader at linuxscope.com> wrote:
>
> > On 3/12/12 5:28 PM, unix syzadmin wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> We run redhat linux on intel hardware (mostly Dell, lately dell R710s).
> >> We want to be able to catch any hardware issues when they occur to act
> on
> >> them as quickly as possible.
> >>
> >> My understanding is that all hardware events/issues/errors are logged in
> >> /var/log/mcelog (Machine Check Events log).  Is this correct?  Can't
> >> stress
> >> this enough; does it log all hardware issues
> >> (cpu,memory,disk,ethernet,**fibre/hba etc) ?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>

> > I've used MCElog to catch some CPU events but I think you might want to
> > check out Dell's OpenManage client.  It will report/monitor a lot more
> > information.
> >

> > http://linux.dell.com/wiki/**index.php/Repository/OMSA<
> http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Repository/OMSA>
> >

> > To install:
> >
> > # wget -q -O -
> http://linux.dell.com/repo/**hardware/latest/bootstrap.cgi<
> http://linux.dell.com/repo/hardware/latest/bootstrap.cgi>| bash
> > # yum install srvadmin-base
> > # yum install srvadmin-storageservices
> >
> > (logout / login for environment variables to take effect)
> >
> > # /opt/dell/srvadmin/sbin/**srvadmin-services.sh  start
> >
> > # omreport chassis
> > Health
> >
> > Main System Chassis
> >
> > SEVERITY : COMPONENT
> > Ok       : Fans
> > Ok       : Intrusion
> > Ok       : Memory
> > Ok       : Power Supplies
> > Ok       : Processors
> > Ok       : Temperatures
> > Ok       : Voltages
> > Ok       : Hardware Log
> > Ok       : Batteries
> >
> > # omreport chassis temps
> > Temperature Probes Information
> >
> > ------------------------------**------
> > Main System Chassis Temperatures: Ok
> > ------------------------------**------
> >
> > Index                     : 0
> > Status                    : Ok
> > Probe Name                : System Board Ambient Temp
> > Reading                   : 20.0 C
> > Minimum Warning Threshold : 8.0 C
> > Maximum Warning Threshold : 42.0 C
> > Minimum Failure Threshold : 3.0 C
> [...]

Hi guys,

You can use OMSA (Op-enManage Server Administrator) to monitor a particular
system. It is installed locally on the server.
You can setup SNMP alerts (traps) from it, for example.
To monitor many systems on a central management system, you can use ITA
(OpenManage IT Assistant) or OME (OpenManage Essentials) now. There is also
DMC (Dell Management Console).

When you download OMSA and extract a tarball you will find an installation
script there. There will also be a folder with all required RPM. I would
recommend to install all of them to get all the features. You will need
compat-libstdc++-33 installed and gcc if I remember on a top of my head and
on x86_64 you will need 32bit versions of those installed. No problem to
have them installed in parallel with x64 bit libraries.
In iptables (or your firewall of choice), you need to have port 1311 open,
and you access your OMSA https://<host>:1311 with user root and its
password.

Before you download anything or try to install, check a compatibility
matrix. Here is for version 7.0
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/software/smsom/7.0/en/index.htm

OpenManage Software (all versions)
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/software/smsom/

OMSA detailed documentations:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/software/svradmin/

If you have a ProSupport contract with your system, do not hesitate to
contact Dell Support for assistance.

Hope this will help you ;)

Regards,
Ges