Will Oracle ever be certified for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6?

Chi Chan chichan2008 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 07:08:11 UTC 2012

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 12:23 PM, LaBelle, Stephen <labelles at mscd.edu> wrote:
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux version 6 has been available now for about 1 year.
>
> To my knowledge there are no Oracle Products certified for RHEL6?

Stephen,

In case you haven't noticed yet, Oracle announced certification of
Oracle Database on Oracle Linux 6 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 this
month:

http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/press/1563775

> I know that Oracle is strongly encouraging  people to move to Oracle Linux.

>From what I've heard from my friends who attended the Oracle Linux
Online Forum yesterday (Mar 26), Oracle is not using Oracle DB and its
middleware stack to attract users to Oracle Linux.  Rather, Oracle
said that they are improving Oracle Linux so that it is cheaper and
and the systems perform better with Oracle Enterprise Linux. In the
webcast, Oracle mentioned that the main differences between Oracle
Linux and RHEL are:

1. Oracle Linux is free for deployment and redistribution (RHEL is not free)
2. Oracle offers the Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel, which is newer and
has Oracle's own improvements
3. KSplice is only available for Oracle Linux paying customers (free
trial signup: http://www.ksplice.com/rhel-signup )
4. Support cost is lower, and Oracle specifically pointed out that one
can run as many virtual guests and the cost is still the same.

It would be great if Red Hat can leapfrog Oracle this round (in the
end, free software enables companies leapfrogging each other). It is
better than Redhat obfuscating the kernel source - as far as I know,
CentOS 6 was affected by this but Oracle Linux 6 was shipped within 2
weeks following the introduction of RHEL 6. In fact, there are now
over 8500 organisations paying for Oracle Linux support and running on
non-Oracle hardware (Oracle said that Oracle Linux support is included
with Oracle hardware and thus they did not count them as paying
customers).

How many new Oracle Linux paying customers were CentOS users who were
mad because Red Hat was trying to lock them in?

Not only was I not happy, but there were articles written about this too:

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2011/03/04/red_hat_twarts_oracle_and_novell_with_change_to_source_code_packaging/

--Chi