Live upgrade from RHEL 5.7 to RHEL 6.2

Christina Salls christina.salls at noaa.gov
Fri Mar 30 17:54:18 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 1:31 PM, <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

> Christina Salls wrote:

> seems as though it
> >> <snip>
> >> <snip>

> >> AH! The light begins to dawn, possibly. Have you looked at
> >> /etc/X11/xorg.conf?
> >>
> >       I moved it out of the way in run level 3 and tried to startx
> >
> > [root at panther X11]# startx
> > xauth:  creating new authority file /root/.serverauth.11796
> <snip>
> > (EE) MGA(0): [drm] Direct rendering only supported with
> > G200/G400/G450/G550.
>
> Um?
>
> > expected keysym, got XF86TouchpadOn: line 120 of inet
> > expected keysym, got XF86TouchpadOff: line 121 of inet
> > (EE) Failed to load /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so:
> > /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so: undefined symbol:
> > xf86GetMotionEvents
> > (EE) LoadModule: Module evdev does not have a evdevModuleData data
> object.
> > (EE) Failed to load module "evdev" (invalid module, 0)
> > (EE) No input driver matching `evdev'
> > (EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (15)
> > (EE) Failed to load /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so:
> > /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so: undefined symbol:
> <snip>
> EE is *not* good.
>
> > (EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (15)
> > gnome-session[11899]: WARNING: Could not make bus activated clients aware
> > of DISPLAY=:0.0 environment variable: An SELinux policy prevents this
> > sender from sending this message to this recipient (rejected message had
> > sender "(unset)" interface "org.freedesktop.DBus" member "Hello" error
> > name
> > "(unset)" destination "org.freedesktop.DBus")
> > gnome-session[11899]: WARNING: Could not make bus activated clients aware
> > of GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID=this-is-deprecated environment variable: An
> > SELinux policy prevents this sender from sending this message to this
> > recipient (rejected message had sender "(unset)" interface
> > "org.freedesktop.DBus" member "Hello" error name "(unset)" destination
> > "org.freedesktop.DBus")
> > gnome-session[11899]: WARNING: Could not make bus activated clients aware
> > of
> <snip>
> > Now my session is hung.
>
> Of *course* it is, you're being "protected" by selinux!
>
> Question 0: do you require selinux enforcing?
>
> Test to see if you can boot by bringing up the box in permissive or
> disabled mode.
>
> That being said, I'm not sure that selinux is the only problem - those
> missing symbols seem to indicate that something was either touched, or
> installed, from another repo that conflicts with the repo that you
> installed the o/s from.
>
> I think that is a good clue.  The original RHEL 5.7 installation also
included SGI Foundation.  I have not upgraded that with the "get one thing
working at a time" philosophy.  I am not so sure that was the right
approach.  I have a spare disk to experiment with, so I actually have my
original safely on a shelf.  I am considering installing 6.2 from scratch,
and trying to get the cluster manager software configured from scratch as
well.  Ambitious, but I think upgrade in place has it's own set of problems
that might cascade one into the next.  I will disable SElinux and see what
I find out, but I am sure you are right.  That is not my only problem.
 Thanks for looking at this.  I appreciate your time.  I will probably give
this a bit more time and see what trouble I can get into with a fresh
install.

Christina