How do I tell RedHat that I have deleted packages and don't want YUM to put them back

Jonathan Billings jsbillin at umich.edu
Sat May 5 12:19:05 UTC 2012

On Fri, May 04, 2012 at 10:05:23PM +0000, Rob Tanner wrote:
> I'm running a web server Enterprise 5.x and it had the distro
> version (5.1.6) of PHP which, unfortunately, is too old a version
> for WordPress which requires at least PHP 5.2.x and so I built that
> from source.  The problem I have is when I run updates since the
> update process will replace the libphp5.so Apache module which, in
> turn, breaks WordPress.  My solution was to erase the distro PHP
> packages and what I want to make sure is that yum doesn't put them
> back the next time RedHat updates one of them.
>
> So, is the fact that they're erased sufficient in itself or do I
> need to run some other program update the machines profile at
> RedHat?

You'll probably be better off not running your own compiled versions
of PHP.  If you've got RHEL5 and a current subscription, why don't you
try the 'php53' packages?  It provides PHP 5.3.3 and is part of RHEL5,
so you get security updates and API stability.

--
Jonathan Billings <jsbillin at umich.edu>
College of Engineering - CAEN - Unix and Linux Support