[rhn] Wrong channel after an upgrade

Nicolas C. rh at nryc.fr
Wed Oct 17 20:37:16 UTC 2012

On 17/10/2012 20:10, Mike Burger wrote:

>> According to the reseller of the product we wanted to upgrade, this
>> method was supposed to be working, it's clearly not the case, I strongly
>> discourage anyone to proceed with an upgrade from 5.x to 6.x.
>
> As does Red Hat. :-)

Absolutely, but why would Red Hat *not* support an upgrade and also give
the possibility to do it??

Back in june, I warned my colleagues that doing so wasn't the safest
way. Then the software reseller recently did a documentation explicitly
detailing an upgrade from 5.x to 6.x as a working solution, I thought
they've been doing extensive tests on this.

They probably just saw that the official RHEL6 installer had an upgrade
option, tested on a basic RHEL5 installation, saw that the server was
rebooting correctly and thought that everything was OK.

They are to blame but I think Red Hat shouldn't allow something
unsupported and clearly broken!

Nicolas