Going from "good" to "expert"

Manuel Arostegui manuel at todo-linux.com
Sat Sep 1 18:35:44 UTC 2012

2012/9/1 Marco Shaw <marco.shaw at gmail.com>

> I've been playing with Linux for roughly 12 years.  I feel I'm "good"
> at it, but I lack "real advanced skills".
>
> I've completely skipped the whole SELinux-wave.  I would have been
> forced to learn it, but my co-workers and employers were too
> intimidated by it, so I never bothered.  I also skipped really trying
> to understand SystemTap, and that's another (perhaps) advanced skill,
> that would make me truly a "one of a kind" based on what I know my
> immediate co-workers know about Linux.
>
> Anyone have any good tips/references to how to take my skills to the
> next level?  I've seen a few half-decent mini-books like "Vmware
> interview questions" that may seem stupid, but actually do provide a
> few things that I think I need to brush up on.

Hello Marco,

>From my point of view the best way to improve your Linux skills is needing
them to fix a problem.

Probably facing problems is the best way to improve your skills. You get
forced to research and to go deeper. If you don't find that challenge at
work, you can probably try to get a small server (either at your home or a
dedicated remote one) and try to build cool things there - from networking
stuff to kernel stuff.

I am sure you'll face problems and would get forced to learn new skills,
script stuff etc. And on top of that...you'll have fun!
Get ready to try to look for stuff on Google and finding unanswered posts -
you won't find that fun though :-)

Good luck!
Manuel.