Defining a "Linux Engineer"

Matty Sarro msarro at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 03:01:01 UTC 2012

It's annoying that I've spent more than 15 years on both work
experience and education and have to deal with people saying things
like, "Not to dis network & computer folks (I used to do that, too),
but seriously?"

Yes, seriously. Some of us aren't just tinkering around with windows,
and your comment is insulting to the folks who really are involved
with complex systems supporting tens of millions of customers and
providing critical infrastructure. Those of us who are working in
telecom and riding the wave as new standards get written (things like
carrier ethernet and docsis 3). No, i'm not a licensed engineer, but
most of my colleagues are, and my work is every bit as good as theirs.
And I've earned enough of their respect that they trust me when it
comes to systems architecture, and occasionally even seek out my
advice while they're putting together RFC's for the IETF.

As for the OP, a linux engineer would be someone who engineers using
linux (sorry for the circular reference). That means, someone who
builds complex systems using linux.

-Matty