Defining a "Linux Engineer"

Tom Burke tomburkeii at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 01:41:50 UTC 2012

I have a BS in Electrical, an MS in Electrical, and an MS in Systems.  I've
been working in the Electronics & Systems Engineering fields for going on
15 years, now.  I cannot *legally* call myself an Engineer, as I've not
taken the PE, either.  Bummer, eh?  That was something that was impressed
upon me when I took the FE exam, long, long ago.

I've been thinking about trying for that piece of paper, but it's only
offered every so often in MD.

My beef, though, is with the "advertising" of things, especially around
here.  See, I've been busting hump for all those years becoming an "expert"
in the field of electronics Engineering and complex systems (Systems
Engineering) - including architecting, designing pieces of, tracking
requirements for, writing manuals for, and selling off those systems.  And
then I go looking for a new job, and the folks advertising "Systems
Engineer" want me to maintain computers on networks.

Don't get me wrong, I can do that.  Heck, I have done it.  But that's not
exactly what a "Systems Engineer" does, in most cases.  And you can imagine
that I'd have to take a hefty pay cut to go off and do those things.  Great
if I'd decided I wanted to change my career and go off and do those
things.  A waste of the hiring company's and my time, otherwise.