use of udisk

Doll, Margaret Ann margaret_doll at brown.edu
Wed Apr 17 20:12:28 UTC 2013

I have two systems.  One is a RH server at 2.6.32-358.2.1.el6.x86_64.  The
other is a RH workstation at the same version.

I have an array using a raid 5 setup which I formatted as ext4 on the
server station.   I did this from the udisk icon that appeared in the top
panel of my computer screen.  This program was extremely useful in that it
told me that one of the disks in the array was faulty.  After I replaced
the disk, I formated the array as ext4.  I could mount /dev/sdc1 on the
server.

I then moved the array over to the workstation.
udisksudisks-1.0.1-4.el6.x86_64 is installed on the workstation.  However
the udisk icon does not appear on the top panel even when I start
"/usr/libexec/udisks-daemon &".

The messages on the workstation show

Apr 17 15:34:28 tycho kernel: sd 7:0:0:0: [sdc] Attached SCSI removable disk
Apr 17 15:34:28 tycho kernel: EXT4-fs (dm-0): mounted filesystem with
ordered data mode. Opts:

I am not able to mount /dev/sdc1 on the workstation.
parted /dev/sdc
Error: Error opening /dev/sdc: No medium found

fsck -t ext4 /dev/sdc
fsck from util-linux-ng 2.17.2
e2fsck 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)
fsck.ext4: No medium found while trying to open /dev/sdc

filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

How do I get udisk to appear on the top panel of the workstation, so I can
have a better look at the array?
How do I get the array mounted on the workstation?