p8p1 ethernet won't connect to a network

Kyle Sexton ks at mocker.org
Thu Apr 4 21:58:42 UTC 2013

Doll, Margaret Ann writes:

> I changed in the new server, but it does not make a network connection on
> one of the subnets at school.
>
> 1.  Instead of using eth0 as the default connection, the system wants to
> use p8p1.  I edited /etc/sysconf/network-scripts to change the device to
> eth0 and I took out the UUID line.  ifcfg-p8p1 was renamed to p8p1-ifcfg.

I would keep with what it autodetected (p8p1) and fix anything that
might be messed up in your /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
file.  Easy way to regenerate is to delete any lines and restart to let
it autopopulate again.

Once you've gotten the device straightened out you can use something
like ethtool or mii-tool to check for link, etc..

--
Kyle Sexton
  ks at mocker.org