Satellite API calls

mark m.roth at 5-cent.us
Sat Feb 16 17:15:03 UTC 2013

On 02/16/13 04:59, Georgios Magklaras wrote:
> On 15/02/13 22:12, Jens Skott wrote:
>> Heyas. Im currently working on a deploymentflow using RHEL6 with
>> satellite as repo to deploy new machines.
>> Since we build alot of inhouse applications for our systems we package
>> using RPM and send them to a channel in the satellite.
<snip>
>> Have anyone had any experience with this type of problem before? Or
>> should i just create more channels? We have around 50 different
>> systems (one channel for each then) with about 5-10 packages for each
>> system.
>>
> With all the respect to Redhat's satellite server (and the Spacewalk
> community project), I think it is too much overhead for the number of
> systems. What I tend to do for setups of this size is to make a
> traditional software repository. Get an NFS or HTTP server, ACL it so
> that it is secure and layout the structure of your RPM repositories.
> Then insert these repositories in /etc/yum.repos.d, write your cronjobs
> and you are done.
>
> An alternative option is yum localinstall. If you NFS import a directory
> that contains the tree of your RPMs and layout the directory structure
> so each client can run a yum localinstall on a specific/per client dir
> with the relevant RPMs, that should also do the trick. Quoting the yum
> manual page:

I worked on spacewalk, the non-proprietary version of satellite,  in
early '09, at a contract, and it was horridly complex, *required* at
least the free version of Oracle ("we're working on postgresql"), and
that barely ran.

I second the above recommendation - set up one server as a local repo,
dump the rpms there, run createrrepo, and you're done, just yum update
the systems.

	mark

--
The truth will out: someone got it at last:
    Dogs have masters; cats have staff.