Best way to log sudo group

Harry Hoffman hhoffman at ip-solutions.net
Fri Jul 5 13:51:47 UTC 2013

Hi Prashant,
By allowing a user to run any command you open up the potential for them to either su to root or run a shell as root.
Either way sudo will no longer be invoked if they do that and you won't have sudo logs of what actions took place.
A couple of things you can do. Specify what commands they can run via sudo (e.g. /sbin/ifconfig, /bin/rm, ...) so that each command gets logged. Or install something like sudosh and allow them to run that command. This essentially writes out their shell history to a filed based upon their uid and timestamp.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Harry