Kernel Panic

Jonathan Billings jsbillin at umich.edu
Wed Jun 12 13:18:23 UTC 2013

It sounds like your system's initrd can't execute init.  Do any of your
other kernels listed in your GRUB bootloader work?  If not, you'll probably
want to boot off the rescue disk and try running 'fsck' on your
filesystems.  While in the rescue disk, try chrooting into the filesystem
to make sure /sbin/init exists and is executable.

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 6:59 AM, Ravi Taleria <ravi.taleria at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am getting following error while booting my rhel-4 server.
>
> exec of init (/sbin/init) failed !!!: 2
> umount /initrd/dev failed: 2
> kernel panic – not syncing. Attempted to kill init!
>
> PFA is snapshot.
>
> Kindly help me to get this resolve on urgent basis.
>

> *Thanks & Regards,
> Ravi Taleria
> (91+9213674673)
>
> *

Jonathan Billings <jsbillin at umich.edu>
College of Engineering - CAEN - Unix and Linux Support