Binary compatibility of RHEL5.5 and RHEL 6.2

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Mon Mar 25 12:16:30 UTC 2013

> I have my product binary built on the RHEL5.5 and my customer is having
> 6.2. Just want to know the compatibility between these two version. Can we
> ship the binary to customer?
>
> Thanks

Kevin,

It may or may not work...there are differences in libraries and other items.

Your best bet, if you wish to support your customers, is to also compile
it for RHEL 6.x.

Otherwise, you can tell your customer that, at present, your product is
not certified for RHEL 6 and leave it at that (though this will not
generate much in the way of good will on your customer's part).
--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

"It's always suicide-mission this, save-the-planet that. No one ever just
stops by to say 'hi' anymore." --Colonel Jack O'Neill, SG1