RHE 5.1.9.6 reboots when starting a browser

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Wed Mar 6 23:34:29 UTC 2013

On Wed, Mar 06, 2013 at 05:20:54PM -0500, eee at nmt.edu wrote:
> I'm not sure which log files I should be looking in and what to look for
> -- a few pointers would help there.
>
> I did discover that Konqueror does still work.  I selected it from the
> Applications -> Internet menu.
>
> The reason I'm using RHE 5.1.9.6 is because this is a production system
> and I haven't wanted to to rebuild and risk potentially losing some days
> if things don't go smoothly. You're probably familiar with the old adage
> "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Yup. I'm a believer in it myself.

But you should be  aware that there have been MANY updates to Centos 5,
many security or bugfixes among them.

you don't have to do a full upgrade, just do "yum update". it wouldn't
be a bad idea to back up your important stuff, but it's unlikely
anything horrid would happen doing just a yum update.

Fred
                        The Lord is like a strong tower.