formatting a 12.73 Tb disk on ROCKS 5.2

Doll, Margaret Ann margaret_doll at brown.edu
Thu May 9 19:16:54 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 3:09 PM, <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

> Doll, Margaret Ann wrote:
> > The answer came from my vendor at Atipa.
> >
> > You will need to change the partitioning scheme to use GPT in order to
> > enable greater than 2TB support.
>
> Which is what I was saying.
> >
> > # parted -s /dev/sda mklabel gpt
>
> This is command-line version of what I said - I was giving you the
> interactive version. I do not understand why the above would work, and
> what I suggested you do gave you "invalid token".
> >
> > # parted –s /dev/sda rm 1
>
> The above removes partition 1.
> >
> > # parted –s /dev/sda “mkpart primary xfs 1 -1”
> >
> You've decided to use xfs, yes? And the 1 bothers me, a lot. That's either
> sector or cylinder... and they did *not* tell you to use -a optimal for
> aligning the partition. If you do parted -l, what do you see?

[root at nas-0-0 ~]# parted -l

Model: AMCC 9650SE-16M DISK (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 14.0TB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name     Flags
 1      17.4kB  14.0TB  14.0TB  xfs          primary

df -h

/dev/sda1              13T  8.4G   13T   1% /bigdisk1