formatting a 12.73 Tb disk on ROCKS 5.2

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu May 9 15:44:42 UTC 2013

Doll, Margaret Ann wrote:
> I used the BIOS setting to create the raid system.  I couldn't format it,
> so I ran fdisk, deleted the partition and created a new partition.  The
> new partition with fdisk was approximately the same size as the original
> partition created by the BIOS.

Ok, I don't know what you mean by the BIOS setting - on what? Is this
attached to a server, or is this an "appliance"? If the former, do you
mean the firmware for an HBA?

At any rate, you *cannot* use fdisk to do anything with this. There are
hard-coded limits with fdisk - you *must* use either parted (which is user
surly, if not outright hostile) or gparted (the GUI version, which is,
well, ok). And you must specify that the partition table - there is no MBR
as we know it, for something this big - must be GPT, not MBR.

      mark